Thursday, August 31, 2023

New Videos - August 2023!

After reviewing so many albums, it's nice to just check out some music videos.  I've definitely got a mix of rock and metal this time around, with a few surprises along with some familiar faces.  Let's wrap up this summer by turning these songs up!

Taking a break from doing movie soundtracks, Trevor Rabin is coming back to recording vocal hard rock for the first time in decades.  This single is interesting, with a big, anethmic hook and some neat fretwork on both lead and bass guitars.  I kinda wish the production wasn't quite so muddy, especially with the vocals, but it's still pretty different and unique compared to a lot of the AOR that comes out these days.

I don't know what it is about Iron Savior, but they just keep ticking all the right boxes for me.  Otherwise going for a fantasy theme instead of their usual sci-fi, this is business as usual for them: catchy riffs, great energy, and Piet Sielck's excellent vocals.  October can't come soon enough!

Here's another Noveria single full of noodly solos and an anthemic chorus!  This one has a bit of an Arabic twinge, but otherwise, the chunky riffs and epic strings make for a solid track of melodic prog metal.  I'm definitely hearing stuff similar to DGM in this one, and that's a good thing.

While I've featured The Defiants on my blog before, it's been a few years, and I guess they've shifted from their 80s pop rock sound to something heavier and more anthemic.  Not that I mind, of course, it's just surprising to hear them rock this hard.  

The Dust Coda seem to be expanding their sound, this time coming out with a 70s style country rocker.  I admit when I started this song, I wasn't sure if I would like it, as I find country to be a little same-y (not that I've listened to a lot of it).  However, the band brings in some of their unique transitions, letting things build pretty well to a very anthemic ending.

Meanwhile, the Queen of Metal keeps things classic, sticking to some catchy, melodic, old-school metal.  If you've followed Doro at all, there are no real surprises here (though they look like they're having fun with their Mad Max aesthetic), but there's nothing wrong with keeping things simple, and this is about as straight-ahead as metal gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment