Saturday, May 8, 2021

New Videos - May 2021!

There are times where I begin to wonder if I will ever see the bottom of my "to listen to later" pile of stuff.  Classic bands and artists keep right on going, while new ones crop up all the time!  And a lot of it is really good!  A good problem to have I suppose, but I should stop complaining and let you check out what I've found lately, as it's quite a mix of things.

Yes, more Sabaton!  This time, it's actually an English cover of a song originally in Russian by a band they've worked with before named Radio Topek.  Still, it has Sabaton's iconic, stompy style of power metal, so they've definitely given it their own spin, whatever the original may have sounded like.

Now here's a bolt out of the blue.  Tommy Clufetos has been drumming for various classic rock bands (most notably the end of Black Sabbath's last reunion), but now has his own outfit.  The song feels like a high-energy mishmash of all kinds of 70s rock and metal.  I feel like I'm hearing Sabbath, Motorhead, and Molly Hatchet all at once!  A lot of fun!

Back to the power metal!  Actually, this one is different the last Sonic Haven track, as it's more of a mid-tempo track with some symphonic touches to up the epicness.  Pretty catchy, with a nice melodic solo.

This is definitely on the softer side of things, but I can't deny that Robin's vocals really make this work.  I think I've posted every single from this album, so I guess I better find time to listen to the whole thing.  Nice, anthemic soft rock that still has some good energy to it.


Another throwback to the 70s, this band, coming from Sweden, sounds like a southern-fried Fleetwood Mac, with a dash of Thin Lizzy.  It's not intense, but more easy-going, but still has a lot of groove and melody.  Rather unique, I think.

A new single from Styx!!  This is the title track for their upcoming album, and despite being under 4 minutes, it really goes all over the place!  Hammond solos, layered vocals, shifts in tone.  The last section gives me big Queen vibes, actually.  Makes me curious about the rest of this album, so I suppose the single did its job!


No comments:

Post a Comment