Saturday, April 30, 2022

New Videos - April 2022!

I've finally started getting caught up on some of these new songs and videos.  There's been some pretty interesting stuff from bands both old and new.  Turn up the volume and check these out!

Starting off with some pretty solid symphonic metal.  While it's not earth-shaking by any means, it's well-played and well-balanced, finding the line between bombastic and catchy.  This is a new band, too, so I'll have to keep an eye out for more from them.

So I guess Jani is doing a solo album this time, with a bunch of singers (including his former Sonata Arctica bandmate Tony Kakko).  However, this single is with Timo Kotipelto, the singer from Stratovarius and Jani's own Cain's Offering, so this track is right up my alley, as I love both those bands.  Nice, bombastic symphonic power metal.

I admit I haven't kept up at all with Def Leppard's recent releases, but after checking this single, I'm kind of impressed!  I don't know if the rest of their new album sounds like this, but this has a rather dark swagger to it without really getting away from the arena-friendly rock sound the band is known for.  

Another classic 80s band whose modern material I've completely overlooked.  I knew they were working on the album, and I've heard a few singles, but this one really stands out.  Obviously, it reminds of "The Zoo," with its stompy, mid-tempo groove, but it has more of a spacy vibe that gives it a different feel.  Not bad for some old rockers!

Speaking of classic bands, here's a prog rock band from Sweden that's been around since the 70s, but I had never heard of them before.  This new track certainly has a lot of the trademarks of third-wave prog: laidback vibe with plenty of jazz-fusion groove.  I guess they have singers, but this one is instrumental.  Not a bad bit of noodling, really.

Despite all these older bands, there's always new ones to check out as well.  Fallen Sanctuary seems to be going for a classic power metal sound, making me think of early Sonata Arctica.  High speed riffing and soaring vocals are always an easy pick for me, but these guys seem to have some promise, I think.

Let's finish with one more piece of power metal from another new band.  This one is interesting, as it has some very symphonic flourishes, but the songwriting feels more like Helloween or Gamma Ray.  Still, it's some pretty epic, melodic stuff, with a great gruff singer in Ilkka Koski. 

No comments:

Post a Comment