Friday, September 30, 2022

New Videos - September 2022

Dang, September is over already!  This year is going quick, and there are still plenty of new albums coming up that I'm very excited for!  I've got a good chunk of riffy, heavy metal for you this time, with a few proggy groups for good measure.  Check these out!

After enjoying their last album Let There Be Nothing, I'm certainly interested in what power/prog band Judicator doing next.  This track is definitely out there, though, with some horns, some old hammond organs, and a strange reference to a mid-2000s romance film.  Still, it wasn't boring!  

While there are a few other metal bands with the name Whirlwind, this one is so new, it doesn't even have a page on Metal Archives yet!  US Power Metal is the style here, with its gritty riffing and epic vocals.  It's not doing anything new, but it's doing it well, with some interesting tempo shifts for good measure.  Given the artwork and the album title of "1714," I wonder if this will be a concept album.

Sword are back!  Note that this isn't The Sword, but a different Canadian band that played traditional metal back in the 80s.  I stumbled across them somehow about 10 years ago, and I loved their first album, but I never got to their second one.  However, now that they've got a third one coming out, I suppose it's time to catch up!  Anyways, this single feels like they haven't lost a step, continuing that classic metal sound that made them such a gem.

I wasn't sure if I would hear from this group again, as the first album was kind of a mess, but I guess they had some more ideas they wanted to work out.  At least, right off, the production seems much clearer, while still retaining Sherwood's iconic warmth.  I don't know if I love it, but I'm more optimistic about a follow up than I thought I would be.  It will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

As if his own project and Victory weren't enough, Herman Frank has started another project called Iron Allies.  Bringing over a few folks from Victory, he teams up with vocalist David Reese, who among other things was a singer for Accept for a little while (though not at the same time as Frank was in the band).  In any case, it's another straight-forward dose of mid-tempo metal, with some solid riffing.  Coming in just a few weeks, I know this album is high on my priority list.

After their last album was just okay, Disturbed has come right back to the heaviness for their new album.  Of course, there is no change in their style, but I like their anthemic groove metal sound, and this track shows there is still some gas in the tank for it.

<

No comments:

Post a Comment