Saturday, June 10, 2023

New Videos - May 2023!

Wow, sorry for dropping the ball at the end of last month!  Life got rather busy and stressful in a real hurry, so this kinda took a back seat.  Still, I've been able to find a few things worth checking out, featuring some interesting throwback styled rockers as well as some regulars on this blog.

Stray Gods are another band that borrows heavily from Iron Maiden.  This means soaring vocals, upbeat energy, and plenty of noodly guitar riffs.  And yet, I can't deny that this is pretty fun!  The Maiden sound when done well can always put a smile on my face, so I'll have to keep an eye out for more from these fellows.

Wow, I don't know if I've heard a band try so hard to sound like Rush.  And it's not just one specific era, as they have the hard rock of the early era, the song-writing of the prog era, and the synths of the 80s all mixed together.  Of course, it isn't just a carbon copy, as this band takes you on a solid journey for 18 minutes.  Between all the catchy melodies and interesting transitions, it's quite the prog rock buffet!

Primal Fear may have gone into cruise control for the past few albums, but I can't deny that they remain pretty consistent in providing solid, crunchy heavy/power metal.  As long as Ralf has the pipes and the band has the riffs, I'm in.  This one is a pretty standard mid-tempo stomper, but it's a decent tease for their new album.  

So Jamison Palmer, guitarist of Visigoth, has this other project that has singer Madeline Smith as the main focal point.  She has an interesting, epic lower register that works well with the traditional metal style they've got going here.  I think this goes for more of a Tanith/70s metal vibe, focusing as much on narrative storytelling as the riffs.

I clearly need to jam more Anthem.  They take on heavy/power metal is just so catchy and epic, and this track is no different.  Big, noodly riffs, double-kicking bass drums, a hooky chorus; it's just one big pile of everything I like, and I know this is the first time I've felt this way about them.  Turn this up!

Man, it really does feel like Iron Savior can do no wrong.  Their epic style of power metal just hits all the right notes for me, and this lead single for their new album is just another example.  Tons of energy and melodies, with an epic chorus and a grand story to tell.  I look forward to hearing more!

No comments:

Post a Comment