Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Top 5 of 2023!

Top 5 Time!  This past year has been pretty all over the place in terms of the quality of rock and metal I heard.  While I didn't listen to everything I wanted to, I still got to several albums, and narrowing them down to just 5 was difficult!  I know I've said that in years past, but usually, upon multiple listens, they shake out and it becomes pretty clear.  NOT THIS YEAR!  I think I had a five-way tie at one point, and I even considered expanding the list to a Top 10, but I finally got nit-picky and was able to narrow it down.

Speaking of which: honorable mentions!  Sorcerer nearly made it, and Twilight Force was in consideration early on, but I felt their albums weren't as consistent as the ones below.  Silver Bullet even had an outside chance, as their album started to grow on me a little the more I listened to it.  However, when all was said and down, I couldn't put them in when I compared them to these five.  Let's get this started!


5. Metallica - 72 Seasons

I know.  I'm surprised, too.  But after listening to everything else this year, I cannot deny that Metallica has created something that holds up on multiple listens.  While it still is a bloated album, going for too long, there is a lot that works.  It's certainly not a return to glory, but the chunky Metallica riffs and melodies, powered by Hetfield's personal lyrics, makes for a pretty solid album.

4. Arctic Rain - Unity

As for melodic rock, Arctic Rain knocked it out of the park early in the year.  While I heard some interesting rock albums, these Swedes knew exactly what they were doing, and did it well.  It's also an improvement over their solid debut, making this band one to keep an eye on for the future.


3. Lovebites - Judgement Day

However, I can't deny that power metal really dominated the year for me.  It may not be as good as Electric Pentagram, but Lovebites still has it where it counts, providing some very bombastic songs, full of high-speed riffing and incredible solos.  Definitely another fun album from these Japanese girls.


2. Kamelot - The Awakening

I don't know if I can really say Kamelot is "back," as it's pretty clear they've combined their old and new sounds together.  However, I can't deny they've made a great album, full of symphonic grandeur.  While Lovebites might be more fun, Kamelot edges them out with their lush production, dramatic songwriting, and Karevik's excellent voice.


1. Iron Savior - Firestar

However, when it came to deciding number one, I had no problems at all.  Once I heard Iron Savior's latest, I was delighted.  I know it's just more German power metal, but they do it so well!  They've found the perfect blend of gritty riffs and soaring melodies, and I love it!  As far as I'm concerned, Firestar is everything right about power metal in 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment