Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Retro Reviews - May 2024!

This may be a bit different, doing a bunch of albums after the Anniversary article, but there were a handful on my 1984 list that I wanted to get to for various reasons.  While I didn't exactly love two of these albums, they certainly reflect the variety of rock sounds available at the time.  Here's what I've been listening to lately!

David Gilmour - About Face

After enjoying Gilmour's first solo album for being pretty chill, I expected more of the same with his second.  Wrapping up the tense Final Cut sessions, he wanted to pull together a bunch of talent for his next effort, eventually tapping into the talents of Pete Townsend of the Who and Jon Lord of Deep Purple.  The result, however, is something very 80s, like somewhere between Bryan Adams and Dire Straits.

To be clear, this is still Gilmour, with his guitar licks and vocal harmonies, but the songwriting goes for more of an 80s movie soundtrack vibe, mixing in walls of synths and some funk sections here and there.  It definitely feels like David wanted to branch out and explore some other ideas instead of the moody epic art rock he had been doing.  While the results are certainly varied, they're definitely not boring, as the songs shift around in tone.  From the hard rockin' of "All Lovers are Deranged" to the cinematic flair of songs like "Until We Sleep," and "You Know I'm Right."  Meanwhile, "Blue Light" gets very funky, "Cruise" throws in some reggae at the end, and "Murder" brings back the Pink Floyd vibes, starting as a folky acoustic ballad only to build into something like the angry side of "Comfortably Numb."  Unfortunately, "Let's Get Metaphysical" features no Olivia Newton John, but is another cinematic piece as Gilmour plays a slow, melodic solo over a piano and some strings.

In short, it's a weird album with some interesting stuff.  Perhaps this effort in more diverse music helped expand Gilmour's songwriting, as I can certainly hear how this evolves into the sound we got on A Momentary Lapse of Reason.  I may have to listen to it a few more times to really decide how I feel about it, but it certainly has plenty worth listening to.

Helstar - Burning Star

Despite being a classic US power metal band, I haven't really listened to them before now.  However, I've always been curious and have heard plenty of good things, so I figured I should check out their debut.  Unfortunately, it's some of the most average metal I've heard.

To be clear, they don't really make any mistakes.  The production is clear enough, but just kinda flat.  The songs aren't awful, but seem to lack the energy of other metal releases at the time.  The performances are fairly tight, and there's some good guitar noodling, but nothing really sticks with me once the songs are done.  Even vocalist James Rivera sounds pretty good, though he does tend to wail too much.

In the end, it ends up feeling like just another 80s metal album.  While I do think "Run with the Pack" did have some interesting ideas, especially the uptempo section at the end, not much else sticks out to me here.  I did notice that the lineup changes quite a bit after this, so maybe it took a bit before the band found their sound.  I'll try to get to their other albums at some point, but I think I won't be coming back to this one anytime soon.

Marillion - Fugazi

These guys continue to be a fascinating band with their second album, despite what are some mixed feelings.  After picking up a new drummer, they carried one with Fish's iconic lyrics and their unique blend of sounds, as they still lean into Genesis and Pink Floyd territory here and there.  It's just so unfortunate that the album can't seem to balance the lyrics with the music very well.

Maybe it was just the mood I was in when I listened to it, but I'm really struggling with Fish's lyrics here.  Many of the songs seem to be about relationships (both with friends and lovers) and how they go sour.  While there's some interesting wordplay here and there, I couldn't shake the feeling that all the flowery words and purple prose were just to cover up the fact that he was whining.  It may be a mistake to conflate the voice of the lyrics with the creator, but it did make me wonder what Fish was going through at this time to compel him to write all these things.

Which is such a shame because the rest of the band is doing pretty well.  They sound tight and energized, with Trewavas and newcomer Mosely holding down the rhythm well, while guitarist Rothery and keyboardist Kelly provide great riffs, licks, and solos.  The production is clearer and the songs flow so much better than their first album.  I really do want to like this album as it's much stronger musically than their debut, and maybe it will grow on me with time, but the lyrics make me think of the kind of people who cannot acknowledge that the problem is with them and just want to complain how everyone else is inconveniencing them like it's a grand tragedy.  Fish certainly has a flair for the dramatic, but here, it just comes across as alienating.

No comments:

Post a Comment