Thursday, October 29, 2020

Last Played - October 2020 Part Two!

So I'm finally catching up on some 2020 stuff.  However, I know I've still got plenty I haven't even touched yet!  Hopefully, I'll get to some good stuff before the year is out, especially with AC/DC and Iron Savior coming up.  For now, though, here's what I've been listening to lately!

One Desire - Midnight Empire

One Desire was the band that blew me away back in 2017, which was about when I discovered Frontiers Records.  I really liked their approach to the pop metal 80s sound that made it seem lively and accessible.  It's been three years and they've finally followed up with their second album.  Once again, we get an album that's full of 80s energy, but with a slick, modern polish, which is why I loved the first one.

If there are any differences, there's more variety, I think.  Some songs are on the crunchier side, like "Shadowman" and "Battlefield of Love," while others make more use of acoustic guitar stuff, like "Rio" and "Only When I Breath."  Another track that's pretty solid is "Through the Fire," which starts off like an acoustic ballad, but then builds and builds into this rock epic.  I also think the production is slightly better than the last album (which is saying something!).  I also got a pretty big Europe vibe from some of the tracks.

However, it doesn't get too far away from the anthemic pop metal they established from their first album, so those looking for more of the same will not be disappointed.  One Desire maintains their standard for solid song-writing and rockin' tunes.  

Judicator - Let There Be Nothing

So while I've been checking out various videos, I came across one for this band's new record.  At the time, I wasn't too impressed by the song, but I was curious about a band who sounded a lot like Blind Guardian, but focused on European History.  After a while, I decided to give their latest album a shot, and I have to say I'm quite impressed.  

It tells the story of Belisarius, a great general of the Byzantine Empire, contrasting his military conquests with the his dilemma of dealing with an unfaithful wife.  The lyrics and music are more dedicated to telling a story, resulting in lyrics that can be a little clunky here and there.  However, it's all performed quite admirably, with John Yelland's vocals belting out all the melodrama the scenario provides.  It's definitely an album that demands attention, reading the lyrics as you listen, and maybe looking up a few names on Wikipedia just to understand the context.

While the Blind Guardian comparison is easy to make, especially with Yelland sounding a lot like Hansi Kursch, this band falls a little closer to the US power metal, with a heavy dose of progressive metal, as tempos and moods shift to match the needs of the story.  Still, I enjoyed a lot of it, with plenty of meaty riffs, noodly solos, and awesome vocal harmonies, though I do wonder if the production isn't a little on the muddy side.   As a consequence, the songs do kind of blend together, as there isn't much to differentiate them from each other. However, as an album, it's definitely a solid experience, telling an interesting story with a Shakespearean fervor.

Those Damn Crows - Point of No Return

Hey, remember when I was freaking out about this band a year ago?  I finally listened to their album!  Based out of the UK, these guys provide a very polished post-grunge sound, making me think of the likes of early Daughtry, or The Calling, with a few heavier riffs here and there.

Overall, it's a pretty fun rock album.  Shane Greenhall puts a lot of charm in his vocals, and band keeps songs riffy without really being bogged down with heaviness, making for a rather light listen for hard rock.  A lot of that has to do with the production, which keeps things tight and clear.  They won't be winning any heaviness awards, but they make up for that with some pretty catchy tunes to go along with their mid-level crunch.

However, there isn't in the way of variety.  There's a piano ballad on there, but otherwise, the songs are pretty straight-forward, mostly jamming at a mid-tempo level.  I will say that that band does get riffier as the album goes on, which is interesting.  Stand outs are songs I've showcased before, but also "Send the Reaper," "Long Time Dead," and "King of Second Chances."  Honestly, though, it's a consistent rock album from start to finish.


I think I still have plenty of time to get a few more of these in before the end of the year.  Still, I can't believe October is over already!  This year has been crazy on multiple levels.  I hope everyone is staying safe and gets the chance to hear some good, uplifting music to deal with the chaos.  Until then, rock on! \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment